On 2/22/07, Michael R. Head <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 08:29 -0800, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> >  So the kids just had to turn on the computer, and
> > within a minute they were in their user session without any
> > interactions.
>
> But what happens if they press a key on the keyboard by accident? I
> think gdm will just wait there for them to type in the username.

I agree it's not the perfect situation, and yes pressing the keyboard
by accident will abort the auto-login.  But since you have to
supervise your kids when they go on a computer, especially a computer
connected to the internet, there should be a parent within shouting
distance to help in that case.

And I know that we should be teaching kids username/password as soon
as possible,  But my experience with my kids is that before they are 5
years old they are masters of the mouse and clicking around to play
games but not very good at typing words (especially before they learn
to read), but after 5 they can start dealing with their own password.
But your mileage will vary with your own kids and their individual
skill level.

--
Daniel Robitaille