On Tuesday 16 October 2007 10:22, João Pinto wrote:

top posting reformatted....

> 2007/10/16, Scott Kitterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > On Tuesday 16 October 2007 06:02, João Pinto wrote:
> > > Hello ,
> > > getdeb packages requirements  do not meet ubuntu backports
> > > requirements, ubuntu backports are based on versions available on the
> > > development version, getdeb packages are based on the latest upstream
> > > version, some
> >
> > of
> >
> > > the software is not even available at the development version.
> >
> > This is largely because you choose to work outside Ubuntu.  If you put
> > your
> > efforts into updating the packages in the development version, then many,
> > if
> > not most, of the packages you provide could be done through backports.
> >
> > Scott K

> Scott,
> besides myself there other debian/ubuntu contributors which also contribute
> to getdeb, when they do it for an official project you classify them as
> insiders, and on other project, outsiders ?
> What part of our work is not available to the Ubuntu community from both
> users an developer's perspective ?
> How does creating a project with a different methodology, goals, and
> resources make us "outside" Ubuntu ?
> As per your comment there is an "Ubuntu inside" certification that we can
> get somewhere, how do I get such certification ?
>
> I do believe that when doing volunteer work we can do whatever we like to
> do, I find very odd to receive negative comments, not because we are doing
> something wrong, but because we are not doing ONLY what some people believe
> is right.
>
> Do you have any arguments against the project besides the "outsiders" tag ?
> I do expect to get those so that we can better identify improvement
> opportunities.

Ubuntu has official repositories.  Getdeb isn't one of them.  I don't know
what can be clearer than that.  If you want to be "Official" talk to the
Ubuntu Tech Board.  That's what Backports did.

You provide packages that are newer/not in the official repositories.  With
the exception of packages that are legally questionable for the official
repositories, why?

If you would focus your work towards the actual Ubuntu repositories, more
people would benifit.  It's not that I think what you are doing it wrong, but
that much of it is duplicative and it'd be better for all if your efforts
were more in the official repositories.   That said, you are free to
volunteer however you see best.  To me it seems like your wasting a lot of
effort, but clearly you have an agenda that I don't understand.

Scott K