On Tuesday 16 October 2007 19:06, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> Backports is sometimes not a proper solution, because it causes upgrade
> to all the newest versions of a lot of packages. For example, if user
> wants to upgrade amarok but not kopete, he can do it using GetDeb, but
> he cannot do it using backports (forget package pinning/repository
> priorities, it is in no way intuitive and cannot be done by "average
> users").

I was thinking about this some more.  My objection isn't to the installation
method, but to the packages.  Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the
benifits of the web front end that Getdeb provides.

Rather than remove something like gnucash from getdeb, what really needs to
happen is just pointint from the getdeb package to the Ubuntu one.  In the
gnucash case it would be changing:

http://www.getdeb.net/download.php?release=1496&fpos=0
http://www.getdeb.net/download.php?release=1496&fpos=1
http://www.getdeb.net/download.php?release=1496&fpos=2

with

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/9958499/gnucash_2.2.1-1ubuntu4%7Efeisty1_i386.deb
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/9958498/gnucash-common_2.2.1-1ubuntu4%7Efeisty1_all.deb
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/9959217/gnucash-docs_2.2.0-1%7Efeisty1_all.deb

The web front end could stay.

This would have a number of advantages:

Reduced storage and bandwidth usage for getdeb
Fewer packages users have to uninstall before an upgrade
Fewer issues due to unofficial package use

How about something like that?  I've no objections to that approach myself.

Scott K