Am 04.12.2007 um 07:58 schrieb Dane Mutters:

> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 15:57 +0100, Jonas Jørgensen wrote:
>> I would consider partition editing a basic feature that should be
>> provided by the operating system

For advanced users, I agree. For average users, partitioning is
something they shouldn't even get in touch with.

> Note: even without gparted, one can still partition from the
> command line using fdisk, cfdisk, or parted, but this obviously
> isn't ideal for an inexperienced user who just wants to partition/
> format an external drive or some such.

As drives come partitioned off the store, why should a normal user
have a need to change this partitioning at all?

gparted (or any partitioning software) is a pretty dangerous tool for
the unexperienced user. Two, three wrong clicks and the whole system
is gone to a state where only expert users can recover data.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/