Desktop i386 install

Is the following a bug or can anyone change network
settings via     System/Administration/Network
And can you verify it really changed by looking in the
appropriate file.

Install took a DHCP address.  When completed I tried
to change the settings to a static with different DNS,
etc.  The box came up stating "Changing Interface
Configuration" and the status bar went back and forth
for 10 min before I killed it.

In order to properly config my network connection it
was necessary to edit:
/etc/network/interface
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/hosts

Notes:
1. This is the same problem I had with Alpha-2.
2. Same results installing on 3 different computers at
    two locations 20 miles apart.

-rich