Milan Bouchet-Valat pisze:
Hi all!

I noticed that on Hardy, when (and only when) my laptop is on battery,
the hard disk makes a sound every second or so, and never stops, even
when no application is running but the desktop.

atop reports this is pdflush that is writing something to the disk, but
I could not identify why. What is strange is that as soon as I plug the
power cable, the sound stop (rather illogical, sin't it?). Before
reporting a bug I'd like to know if anyone sees this behavior - just
unplug the cable and listen!

Do you have laptop mode enabled?
My guess is that it might be the (in)famous bug 59695.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/59695

--
## Przemysław Kulczycki <<>> Azrael Nightwalker ##
# jabber: azrael[na]jabster.pl | tlen: azrael29a #