Hi again,

> I should also point out (because I gave out misinformation on IRC in a
> moment of inattention) that this only works when you're using the manual
> partitioner and select a partition to mount as /, or equivalent. If you
> use the automatic partitioner and select "use entire disk", then that's
> equivalent to wiping the whole drive and starting again.

I really would like to discuss this. I think this would make sense in
some cases, like having several distros coexisting in the same disk for
example. But what if there is just ONE partition, with Ubuntu on it? In
that case, why shouldn't /home be kept?

My original proposal was intended for total newbies, the kind of people
who would be afraid of the manual partitioner. I think your solution
should especially help that kind of people, and that keeping /home if
there is only one partition would be the right way to do so.

That aside, I opened a thread about the issue at ubuntuforums. The
members seem a bit uneasy about it, saying that it might bring problems.
I think it would be good if you guys came over and shed some light on
it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=793772 this is the link.

Thanks again :)