On 03/14/2009 10:13 AM, (``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo wrote:
> Olá Michael e a todos.
>
> On Friday 13 March 2009 18:19:28 Michael Vogt wrote:
>> during the last UDS we talked informally about using the "aufs"
>> overlay filesystem layer for release upgrade testing. I build a
>> prototype implementation of this now that should be ok for public
>> testing.
>>
>> The idea discussed with Evan Dandrea (and others) was to create a
>> writable overlay into /tmp on top the systemdirs in "/" and then run
>> the release upgrade. This way we can test easily if the system would
>> upgrade cleanly (if no dpkg errors/maintainer script failures
>> happen). All writes go into /tmp so after the upgrade and on the next
>> reboot the system is back to its pre-upgraded state again (modulo
>> /home, that is not overlayed). It also means the next boot takes a
>> *long* time to clean /tmp - when I did test it on one of my production
>> machines that wait made me *really* nervous :) But its ok, it just takes
>> long (up to ~20 minutes or so).
>>
>> Feedback is welcome
>
> This idea seems like a really nice idea, and one that in some other form is
> requested by users/testers.
> I would like to add to points:
> * if all tests go OK, and we end up with this on koala (to late for FFe on
> jaunty, right?), a checkbox when using update-manager -d / cli question on
> do-release-upgrade to use Sandbox would be much nicer then running all that
> code.
> * to save the system state prior to upgrade, so that a user can restore the
> system if even after successful package upgrade, some
> application/kernel/driver upgrade doesnt go as good.

I am a bit on the short end of this topic due to trouble with having
this set to digest mode. What exactly is this going to do. It sounds
very interesting. is this similar to "system restore" in windows?
The following quote makes it sound like after reboot it is going to
restore itself to before the latest upgrade:
>  All writes go into /tmp so after the upgrade and on the next
>>> reboot the system is back to its pre-upgraded state again

Doe the above always write to /tmp? If so does it clear upon restart
automatically?
Is there somewhere where i can get more information on it, a wiki or,
blueprint or something?

--
Sincerely Yours,
    John Vivirito

https://launchpad.net/~gnomefreak
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JohnVivirito
Linux User# 414246

"How can i get lost, if i have no where to go"
    -- Metallica from Unforgiven III