On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:51:52AM +0100, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> When doing something like this one should be careful because here you
> have a copy of all files that are modified during the upgrade.
> Applications keeping these files open will write to the old copies, and
> applications which reopen the file after the upgrade will not see this
> data. This may be dangerous and lead to unexpected behaviour.

Thanks for the feedback. This is a problem we are aware of. The best
ways to fix it will probably we discussed at UDS. One approach (that
is available in the code as well) is to just create the overlay for
the dpkg child, this means that the regular desktop stuff (including
firefox) keeps working during the upgrade.

But in my tests it has been less of a practical problem than I
anticiapted, i.e. I have not had any issues because of that in my
tests (but of course this is all young and has not been tested that
much yet).

> Apart from that, as I ranted in the past, let me say that this is a very
> important change and I am really happy that ubuntu developers are making
> it happen.

Thanks, if it works out in the way we hope it will mean more
robustness to upgrades and that is certainly a good thing.

Cheers,
 Michael