On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <[email protected]> wrote: > On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 3:24 AM, Tom H <[email protected]> wrote:
>> NM on Fedora can now handle bonding and bridging by reading >> "/etc/sysconfig/netwok-scripts/ifcfg-*" files. >> >> I was curious about whether NM could do the same by reading >> "/etc/network/interfaces" so I've just tried to install NM in an >> X-less Quantal VM. > > Not by reading /e/n/i; but bonding and bridging support was added in > NetworkManager 0.9.4.0. > > There is currently no way to configure it besides the rather opaque > files in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections. I used a file in "/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections" last night. Thanks. >> "apt-get install network-manager" results in: >> > [...] >> and >> >> "apt-get install network-manager -o APT::Install-Recommends=false" results >> in: >> > [...] >> So, even an installation of NM without its "Recommends" (which isn't >> something that I like to do or, AFAIK, something that's recommended) >> results in the installation of packages that are only needed by a DE, >> like dconf-gsettings-backend, dconf-service, glib-networking, >> glib-networking-common, glib-networking-services, >> gsettings-desktop-schemas. It should've been "that I don't like to do nor". >> Could NM's "Depends" and "Recommends" be pared down for an X-less >> use-case? Thanks. > > "We'll burn that bridge when we get there." :) > > Seriously though; I agree that some of these requirements are > unfortunate, especially with all this coming from glib-networking > (which I'll look to make sure is really required). Any help you can > provide to reducing these requirements and making NetworkManager > suitable on X-less systems is definitely welcome. I recommend you come > hang around on #nm on Freenode if it's the case; this is where the > upstream NetworkManager development gets done. I've never used IRC and I'm not a developer so I'll probably feel like an alien on #nm! I'd nevertheless like to help if I can find the time. If I can figure out what the deb equivalent of an rpm spec file is, I'll drop the GUI dependencies, build a local package, and test it. -- Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list [email protected] Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel-discuss
