On 20 May 2013 18:02, Benjamin Kerensa <bkere...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On May 20, 2013 8:10 AM, "Daniel J Blueman" <dan...@quora.org> wrote:
>>
>> When installing Ubuntu, I always see the source packages enabled by
>> default.
>>
>> For all the general users I install Ubuntu for (including servers),
>> it's an utter waste of bandwidth for everyone, particularly when
>> automatically checking once a day. This is amplified eg in schools
>> without transparent webcaches etc.
>>
>> Anyone get the same feeling that we should have source packages an opt-in?
>>

> I think in most parts of the world 4MB is trivial overhead for a user.
> Although perhaps we should consider it since some developing nations have
> limited bandwidth?

Here in a rural part of Wales (UK) which would not normally be
considered a developing nation, my connection may run as slow as
0.5mbps (depending on the phase of the moon and the weather).  A 4MB
download then takes significantly more than a minute, which is not
trivial when one is waiting for apt-get update to complete.  Assuming
I understand the implications that is.  In addition I know, from the
ubuntu-users list, that a surprising number of users around the world
still have only dial-up speed available.  I have often wondered why
the sources are enabled when the average user is never going to need
them.

Colin