On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 04:55:08PM +0000, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> Il Mercoledì 5 Marzo 2014 17:47, Colin Watson <cjwat...@ubuntu.com> ha
> scritto:
> >I spent considerable time a while back trying to bootstrap ghc on
> >ppc64el and I'm afraid I got nowhere.  Realistically, in the absence of
> >a real Haskell expert interested in Ubuntu with access to this hardware,
> >the best bet may be to wait for some other distribution to bootstrap ghc
> >and then use their binaries to get started.  If you can find such
> >binaries lying around then please do let me know.
>
> Don't know, maybe the debian maintainer can help?

Kind of unlikely given that neither arm64 nor ppc64el exists in Debian
yet.  If it were bootstrapped in Debian then of course I'd have used
their binaries to get started.

> I was thinking more about arm64, is it difficult to bootstrap here?
> there was already support for armel and armhf, I don't think it is
> impossible to find a binary for it...

Really?  If you can find a binary then please do point me at it.
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7942 is still open upstream, and
I don't see anything in the usual candidates for this sort of thing
(Fedora, openSUSE, Gentoo).

The best information I can find is in
https://ghcarm.wordpress.com/2014/01/18/unregisterised-ghc-head-build-for-arm64-platform/,
which does suggest that there might be some hope, but it's not at all
clear whether GHC will get beyond stage1 - it'll still have to go round
some more to rebuild itself and we'd have to confirm that it can build
other Haskell packages as well before uploading it.  To get started,
I've uploaded an llvm-toolchain-3.4 change with the patch from LLVM HEAD
referred to in that post, and then I suppose I can see if I can get our
current package to bootstrap.

I'm not promising anything, though; ghc is one of the most difficult
packages in the archive to bootstrap from scratch.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwat...@ubuntu.com]