Hi Dave!

On 2015-01-24 01:21, Dave Kokandy wrote:
> I am getting started with bug management in Lubuntu, and one bug seems
> like it would be fixed by making the package file-roller depend on
> "yelp" (currently recommended, but not required).
>
> That bug is 1409185: "File Roller help is missing in Lubuntu"
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/1409185

I thought that recommends were installed by default. Maybe I was wrong,
or maybe Lubuntu is an exception in this respect.

> Is that something that could be made a dependency? Or is that not
> possible because the help section is not core to the function of the app?

It's technically possible indeed. The question is whether those who
prepare Lubuntu have excluded yelp (and other recommends) deliberately
for some reason.

> Or, if not, could another solution be to give a more clear error message
> explaining that the reason help cannot load is because "yelp" is missing?

Another possible solution, indeed.

> Thank you for reading this email. If this is not the appropriate venue
> for this question, please let me know.

Normally a bug report is sufficient to find out a solution. But your
post here is no problem. Hey, it called my attention to the issue and
gave me the opportunity to add another task to the bug report. ;)

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj