On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 19:47:28 +0100, João M. S. Silva wrote:
>With option commit=50 in the ext4 partitions I was able to reduce jbd2
>IO frequency. But the disk keeps spinning on/off with a frequency of
>around 10 s.
>
>So jdb2 (which was also a problem for Arch Linux users, saw it in a
>post from 2011) is not the culprit.

We have different drives ;). My drives is awake for 30 minutes, before
it spins down.

Regarding my bug report I received two messages:

1.
  "** Package changed: ubuntu => linux (Ubuntu)"

2.
  "This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the
  problem.
  >From a terminal window please run:

  apport-collect 1484497

  and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'."

The first I did was removing Apport.

Apport

"[...] You can click on "Show Details..." to see what data it collected
[...] Apport is not enabled by default in stable releases, even if it
is installed. The automatic crash interception component of apport is
disabled by default in stable releases for a number of reasons:

    Apport collects potentially sensitive data, such as core dumps,
    stack traces, and log files. They can contain passwords, credit
    card numbers, serial numbers, and other private material. [...]"
- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport

Hopefully it's possible to communicate from human to human to the
developers, as it is possible on all other bug tracker. I'm willing to
copy and paste the needed output.

At the moment I run a script based on lm-profiler:

[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ cat /usr/src/lm-profiler.sh
#!/bin/dash
# 2015-08-13

if [ "$(id -u)" != "0" ]; then exit 1; fi

echo "Run   killall lm-profiler   to exit the script."

case $1 in
  "") device=/dev/sdc;;
   *) device=$1;;
esac
log_of="/var/log/lm-profiler"$(date "+%m%b%Y_%H%M%S")".log"

date "+%a, %m %b %Y %T %z"                     > $log_of
echo "smartctl -A $device|grep Cou|grep -v R" >> $log_of
smartctl -a $device|grep Cou|grep -v R        >> $log_of

printf "\nlm-profiler: "                      >> $log_of
lm-profiler                                   >> $log_of

date "+%a, %m %b %Y %T %z"                    >> $log_of
echo "smartctl -A $device|grep Cou|grep -v R" >> $log_of
smartctl -a $device|grep Cou|grep -v R        >> $log_of

exit