Oliver Grawert schreef op 18-09-2016 15:09:
hi,
On So, 2016-09-18 at 14:14 +0200, Xen wrote:

That won't install Ubuntu onto a 32-bit system, now will it.

it will, and snappy images will actually be staying around for 32bit
since they target embedded, where you even still see a lot new 32bit
only devices being produced and where memory size of the binaries can
be essential (32bit ones being smaller on disk and consuming less ram)

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-snappy/xenial/current/ ...

So what would that imply????

Do I need a running system to unpack e.g. ubuntu-core-16-i386.img.xz onto a root filesystem and then chroot and install grub?

Is there going to be an installer experience as well? But that would require 32-bit (Ubiquity) ISOs.

on 64bit desktops 32bit snaps can very well run... by design a snap
ships its needed libs along (pretty much like a static build) and all
amd64 based systems providing snap support are able to execute the
32bit snaps (the snap runtime environment on amd64 ships the 32bit libc
by default to guarantee that).

I think it's not bad that Linux goes away from the "library network" disaster that we've had for so long.