amon schreef op 12-10-2016 4:37:

The problem is that in my desktop I end up with a race. The
desktop detects the new device and ignores cryptab and fstab
and asks if I want to mount or whatever. I have to give it a NO
and then go to a root shell and execute a manual cryptdisk_start
and mount (or just mount if not encrypted). If it was just a plain
mount, the GUI doesn't even do that, and I then have to unmount
the device from /dev/meda/whomever/whatever before doing the mount
command that actually uses /etc/fstab.

So my question is, how do you make that userland automounter recognize
that the disk is just not up for grabs? It does not seem to even
look at cryptab or fstab for a hint.

I guess we use a different one but in KDE this works automatically. I have not attempted Mint yet (which is like Gnome 3) but I will check before sending this email.

It did not work in mint by default but needed the option x-gvfs-show in fstab for it to work at all: both fstab auto-mounting did not work and gvfs also did not work, but now it opens in gvfs (Cinnamon) AND it has the proper path that I have given to it.

I assume for Ubuntu Unity it will be the same? It is a form of interference that is not very pleasant (it doesn't work out of the box, right) but still rather benign, because once you know this simple option (and accompanying, such as x-gvfs-name, x-gvfs-icon) it works reasonably and at least honours fstab to a reasonable degree.

But in KDE it works by default and in Cinnamon/Gnome3 you need x-gvfs-show to render it functional.

And I agree that this is not a user problem because it would be /every user/'s problem. Something like this must work by default, ie. gvfs shouldn't prevent stuff from being mounted. And if it does mount, it should honour fstab.

But in my case without gvfs it is not even getting mounted at /media/user/*. It is not getting mounted at all. (On Mint). And I don't know the Ubuntu proper situation.

Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: