Hi Cadence,

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 01:06:03AM -0500, Cadence wrote:
> The latest version of lighttpd available for xenial is 1.4.35 from April
> 2016. There were lots of new lighttpd versions since then. Most notably for
> me, 1.4.42 introduced mod_authn_mysql authentication. When will this version
> be available for ubuntu xenial?

In Xenial? Probably never. Users of a stable release don't expect new
features to suddenly appear for most packages. If they wanted that,
they'd upgrade to a newer Ubuntu release.

The next release of Ubuntu ("Zesty"), probably in April, will probably
include lighttpd 1.4.44 or higher. Please see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates for the policy and
rationale on this.

> Is there any other repository where I can get the latest version? Or is
> installing from source the only option for me (I don't really want to go
> that way because of maintenance issues).

Officially for Ubuntu? It may be possible to have a newer version of
lighttpd added to xenial-backports, but only if someone contributes
this. Please see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBackports for details.

If you still have questions after reading these links, feel free to ask
here.

Not officially from Ubuntu? I'm not familiar with that, so I'll defer to
others to answer that question.

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 07:59:22PM +0000, J Fernyhough wrote:
> lighttpd is in 'universe' which means it won't get updates by default.

Nothing gets non-security updates "by default". Non-security updates
happen as Ubuntu developers see the need and prepare them (for example
through bug reports that affect many people). Anyone can contribute
non-security updates that meet the SRU criteria (see above link).
Canonical pay particular attention in providing essential non-security
updates for packages in main, but plenty of people contribute updates to
packages in universe, too.

Robie