This sounds a bit like an upstream issue.  I've been seeing warnings
regarding these for a while as well.  Here's what I found in my apt
log:

Processing triggers for update-notifier-common (3.168.3) ...
ttf-mscorefonts-installer: processing...
ttf-mscorefonts-installer: downloading
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/corefonts/a
ndale32.exe
^M0% [Working]^M0% [Working]^M0% [Working]^M0% [Working]^M
^MGet:1 http:
//downloads.sourceforge.net/corefonts/andale32.exe [198 kB]
^M7% [1 /var/lib/update-notifier/package-data-downloads/partial/andale32.exe
16.1^M

        ^M10
0% [Working]^M              ^MFetched 198 kB in 1s (128 kB/s)
W: Can't drop privileges for downloading as file
'/var/lib/update-notifier/package-
data-downloads/partial/andale32.exe' couldn't be accessed by user
'_apt'. - pkgAcqu
ire::Run (13: Permission denied)
ttf-mscorefonts-installer: downloading
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/corefonts/arial32.exe
^M0% [Working]^M0% [Working]^M0% [Working]^M0% [Working]^M0%
[Working]^M            ^MErr:1
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/corefonts/arial32.exe
  400  Bad request
^M0% [Working]^M            ^MW: Can't drop privileges for downloading
as file '/var/lib/update-notifier/package-data-downloads/partial/arial32.exe'
couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission
denied)
E: Failed to fetch
https://svwh.dl.sourceforge.net/project/corefonts/the
fonts/final/arial32.exe  400  Bad request

E: Download Failed

I was able to reproduce this from console as well, and have filed a bug for it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/msttcorefonts/+bug/1658707

As noted above, this seems like an upstream issue (at least with the
downloads) but the drop privilege problem also exists (though maybe
it's a non-issue?)

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 6:09 PM, Joshua Blagden <jfblag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Ubuntu Maintainers,
>
> I have tried installing ttf-mscorefonts-installer, but it fails every time.
> It installs, but when I reboot, it alerts me that it needs to download the
> fonts. I give it permission to install the fonts, but it chokes when it gets
> to the third font.
>
> I did some research and found some workarounds, but I'd like installation of
> Microsoft fonts to be as easy as it was in the past. Just a few months ago,
> I was able to install ttf-mscorefonts-installer, reboot, have it download
> the fonts, and it would work perfectly. Sure, I could implement one of the
> solutions I've found online, but I'd really like this problem to be solved
> so myself and others won't have to implement such solutions in the future.
>
> I know Linux users are expected to use the open-source Liberation fonts
> instead of the proprietary Microsoft fonts, but I have to be able to work
> with Windows and Mac users, so it's best to be able to use the exact same
> fonts. It's also nice to be able to use a font without having to know the
> name of the FOSS alternative to the font I want to use. I appreciate the
> ideals and advantages of Free Open Source Software, but I must be practical
> and so I must use Microsoft's fonts. Sure, there are some lookalike FOSS
> fonts, but they're not exactly the same.
>
> I'd really appreciate it if you guys fixed this rather irritating issue.
>

> Josh
>
> --

Jeff Lane - Server Certification Lead, Tools Developer, Warrior Poet,
Lover of Pie
Ubuntu Ham: W4KDH
Freenode IRC: bladernr or bladernr_
gpg: 1024D/3A14B2DD 8C88 B076 0DD7 B404 1417  C466 4ABD 3635 3A14 B2DD