I have seen this before but I've never had such an extreme
example with such a definite locus.

I have a proprietary document that has pictures in it. There is
a cover picture behind text; and there are multiple other
pictures with frames and text flowing around them.

The document was created by Libreoffice on a Mint system. On
that system I also saved the file as a .doc.

If I copy those files to Xenial, none of the pictures display in
either.

If I try to open either file on an nfs mount from the Mint machine,
none of the pictures display on Xenial even though I can open
either of the files on Mint with no problems.

I copied the images on a USB key to a Raspbery Pi 3 and they open
there just fine.

I can click on the image areas when the file is open in Xenial
and I can see that the image exists; the image menu shows it.
I can also see the image if I do a print preview.

I nuked (purged) everything on my W520 that had the word
'libreoffice' in it and then re-installed. Nothing changed
although the style of the libreoffice program is now different.

So I very definitely have a libreoffice issue that is absolutely
specific to Ubuntu Xenial.

Unfortunately if I showed you the document in question, I'd
have to shred you. ;-)

I this should be replicable by others. Mint is 17.1; Xenial
is current with all security updates as of an hour ago.