On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 11:31:07AM -0700, Nathan Osman wrote:
> I recently switched to the second beta of Kubuntu 17.04. I attempted to
> install the qtbase5-dbg package, only to discover that it was absent. In
> fact, not only was this package missing but all of the *-dbg packages for
> Qt components were missing.
> Is there another package that provides the debug symbols? Why were these
> packages removed?

Debian is slowly dropping manual debug symbol packages (-dbg) in favour
of automatic ones (-dbgsym).

Ubuntu have automatic debug packages (.ddebs) since ever, and in case a
manual -dbg package exists it transitionally pulls it in:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Debug%20Symbol%20Packages

I know a little work happened to make Ubuntu build debug packages as
does Debian now, I guess this work will (very) slowly make them
converge.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo