On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 6:11 AM, Paul Smith <p...@mad-scientist.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-08-05 at 08:37 +0800, Jesse Steele wrote:
>> Generally, installing Ubuntu on 32 bit machines has been no problem.
>> However, different 64 bit motherboard manufacturers have different
>> native BIOS settings, many of which create problems for installing and
>> booting to Ubuntu.
>
> Maybe you can give some examples of what kinds of problems you mean.
>
> I've been running GNU/Linux distributions of all types exclusively on
> 64bit systems for probably 15 years or more and I've NEVER found a
> motherboard or BIOS that gave me any problems.  Your message sounds like
> many motherboards won't work with Linux and you have to search carefully
> to locate a compatible one.  That's definitely not been my experience.

I'd second that...having installed as 64-bit using Ubuntu, Debian,
RedHat, RHEL, Fedora, FreeBSD, Solaris, Illumos, SmartOS (Illumos
kernels), and more across many different motherboards and
vendors...Gigabyte, ASUS, Dell, SuperMicro, Tyan, and some others I'm
forgetting, I've yet to run into anything that's 64-bit specific.  The
issues are generally around "new" hardware (storage controllers,
ethernet controllers) and associated drivers rather than anything to
do with 64-bit, when there are issues at all.

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler