I code, draw, write, podcast, vlog, and design art. I've seen many mouse wheels wear out fast. Middle mouse click while moving the mouse around inside a scrollable area behaving like two-finger "natural" scrolling would be breakthrough in ergonomics AND save the mouse wheel. But, it would also make my Wacom pad behave more how it does in Windows, but without any extra driver tweaks in Linux.

Save hardware, navigatebetter, work with pens/tablets better.

I have seen some scripts and instructions on making a Wacom tablet behave a certain way, or adding specific mouse support on older computers, but I think this would be a "kill ten birds with one stone" to make is a setting next to "Alt + R Mouse to resize windows" in either Tweaks or Mouse Settings, being very time-effective from development's viewpoint. IMHO, it should be a core option in GNOME and Xfce.