On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 09:51:00PM +0100, Xen wrote:
> Personally I don't know *why* this needed to happen. Also from the
> perspective of the python devs, I mean.

Because Python 2 will be unsupported upstream and we don't have an
unlimited amount of resources to maintain it in Ubuntu without upstream.
The more time we spend on maintaining duplicate stuff in the archive,
the less time we have to spend on other things that users want to see.

> Except to force more people onto Python 3.

Nobody is being forced to do anything. Assuming we do ship Python 2 in
main in 18.04, which seems likely, you will be able to use Python 2 in
18.04 until 2023. After that, you'll still be able to use Python 2 in
18.04 but will need to make arrangements to maintain the release for
security rather than have it done for free for you.

As for what upstream should or shouldn't do, I don't see how that's on
topic for this list.