On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 10:06 AM, Dimitri John Ledkov <x...@ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 27 May 2018 at 20:52, Tong Sun <uddaa....@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I see that in the Azure virtual machine gallery, it lists:
> >
> > Ubuntu Server
> > https://azuremarketplace.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps/Canonical.
> UbuntuServer?tab=Overview
> > Canonical
> >
> > Does it means that Canonical is responsible for creating such Azure
> virtual
> > machines, or just this Ubuntu Server is copyrighted to Canonical?
> >
> > Basically I want to understand why the latest Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is still
> not
> > available from the Azure virtual machine gallery yet, as it's been
> available
> > for quite a while now. Thx.

It may not show up in the marketplace, but you can find it via 'filter'
when launching
a virtual machine.  Search for 'Ubuntu 18.04' and you will see the image in
the
results.  In order to get an official Canonical made image, make sure the
'Publisher'
is 'Canonical'.

The Ubuntu Project and Canonical build and publish these images in
> azure marketplace.
>
> Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is available, and you can find and launch it using
> e.g. the Azure CLI.

With the 'az' cli tool (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cli/azure)
you can list images available by 'Canonical' with:

 $ az vm image list --all --publisher=Canonical
   {
    "offer": "UbuntuServer",
    "publisher": "Canonical",
    "sku": "18.04-DAILY-LTS",
    "urn": "Canonical:UbuntuServer:18.04-DAILY-LTS:18.04.201805220",
    "version": "18.04.201805220"
  },
  ..
   {
    "offer": "UbuntuServer",
    "publisher": "Canonical",
    "sku": "18.04-LTS",
    "urn": "Canonical:UbuntuServer:18.04-LTS:18.04.201805220",
    "version": "18.04.201805220"
  },

You can then also launch an image by the 'sku' shown there with:
$ az vm create --name=testvm --resource-group=my-resource-group \
     --location=westus2 --image=Canonical:UbuntuServer:18.04:latest

The ':latest' means to automatically select the newest available image with
that sku.