The missing cc:

On 3/7/21 5:55 AM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
Hi again, Franklin.

I haven't read your whole answer yet. I certainly will.

But I noticed that you replied to me only. Can you please send your reply to the mailing list too, so others can participate if they want.

/ Gunnar

On 2021-03-07 11:20, Franklin Hunter wrote:
Hello, Gunnar.

For such a short reply, there was a lot for me to think about....in both what you said, and what you cited.

My original email had also included:

    Is there an online form for this? I was reading info from "dpkg -s"
    and "apt-cache showpkg" , so I can't easily see if Debian has or
    hasn't rolled theirs. I'm thinking of something with visibility of
    whether Ubuntu is getting it from developers or Debian, and how much
    mucking is required to make it appropriate for Ubuntu.

    This is Linux, and we can always do a ppa or compile our own, but
    Ubuntu's package curation in its distros is highly valued and
    appreciated. It'd be nice if we could see where more or less of that
    curation might be necessary.

I understood that there must be some policy for stable release updates, because the Ubuntu project is known for its quality -- and such a policy is necessary for consistent quality. After having read the policy, however, I can see where some disconnects between the policy and user expectations may be inevitable.

Let's start out with the easy stuff.....

You say:

    At the same time I know that youtube-dl upstream is updated
    frequently, and that it's a pain to try use anything but the latest
    upstream. IMO there are reasons to question why it's present in the
    Debian/Ubuntu archives at all.

Now that I've read the policy, I fully agree. The package youtube-dl should not be in a repository under the current SRU policy. The policy also notes various environmental exceptions in section 2.1, particularly the fourth bullet point. Environmental circumstances are also listed in sections 9.11, 9.23, 10.1 and, to a certain extent, section 12. [Very likely, more sections of 9 would apply, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with them.] Lynis should also not be in a repository under current SRU policy.

Now might be a good time to reflect on what a policy is supposed to be.... A policy should be a _framework of action_ to further _enterprise goals_. The SRU policy is to further the enterprise goal to provide releases (particularly LTS releases) that are rock-solid, of the highest quality, and maintain functionality for the entire support period. Packages are chosen to support this goal, and supported (within SRU) towards this end.

Packages such as youtube-dl, all browsers, time zone data, and clamav definitions (and lynis) _cannot_ fit within this definition. Rather than individually carve them out, it should be recognized that a different class of package is out there -- one that neither Ubuntu nor Debian really control. They may be involved in an armaments race (as various malware v. malware detectors and preventions) or in a standards race, or in a race to keep up with political malfeasance (tzdata). Why not recognize them as a class and deal with them efficiently?

So, what are other enterprise goals? The impulse to include lynis, youtube-dl, browsers, and other packages within a distro is driven by a desire to be "complete" and "competitive" and be useful "as installed". Those are entirely valid goals for the enterprise. Furthermore, a distro may want to be "cool" and "popular" in order to increase market share and/or support. It may also be that user's expectations are that Ubuntu (or Debian) provide a "complete Linux environment" that can be compared to other current Linux distros, and provide immediate bragging rights over those who cling to Microserfdom.

These are all worthy goals for an enterprise that wants to survive -- though some purists may consider them crass. But where is the policy for these goals? It struck me, while reading through the SRU policy, that it was unclear where functionality suggestions might originate.....but it didn't look like there was any room for user input.

In light of current realities, I would suggest that there be a further division of Ubuntu repositories for packages that users might otherwise ppa, reviewed at a lesser level than would be appropriate for other repositories, to achieve the enterprise goal of "complete Linux environment" and useful "as installed". I should note that something similar is done with Ubuntu Studio. All browsers probably belong in this repo, as well as youtube-dl and security packages. These packages stand or fall on their own, and (to protect the core) they have been tested to not crash core functionality. This would, BTW, make you one of the first distros to officially include Brave and clarify your relationship with Tor.

Incidentally, if you adopt any of this, please credit to "cthulhu" so I can include on my resume. "Franklin Hunter" is synthetic.

Second, you should have an online form for requested updates, and a public-facing database for tracking them. Note that I am not suggesting what you do with them......because that should evolve as data accumulates.

Third, you should monitor tools such as https://repology.org/ to see how the freshness of your packages compare to other distros.

Fourth, the SRU policy is currently written for maintainers, but fails to reference either enterprise goals or user expectations. It might correctly function in that manner, but it cannot be optimized as long as the goals and expectations are not explicitly linked [In real life, I'm a CPA with extensive experience with internal audit.]. Each section should start with the corporate goal and end with the benefit to the consumer. Maintainers will also get less grief and more joy if they can say, "I'm doing 3.25 to further corporate goal X and consumer benefit Y" instead of "I'm doing 3.25 because it's the rule."

Thank you, again, Gunnar Hjalmarsson, for a peek inside a structure that I appreciate and applaud. I hope that it only gets better from here.

Cooth