Hi Everyone,

I need to test a few security controls for an antique piece of
hardware and software. The antique software includes Java 1.5
environment (SEPT 2004 - NOV 2009). The company has not been able to
upgrade for several reasons, and I don't have control over it.

I want to install a Ubuntu Server from that era. Hardy/8.04 was
contemporary around that time. I found the ISO at
https://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/. I doubt there are any Hardy
mirrors out there nowadays.

I need to get autotools, package-config, gcc, python and perl
installed. I also need to get Java or OpenJDK installed, which should
be about Java 1.5.

Apt wants to update its index files which is pointless for this setup.
It results in an error that stops subsequent install operations.

My question is, how do I get 'apt-get install' to work in this case?

Thanks in advance.