How would we move forward on changing this?

Cheers,
Trey

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 21. April 2022 um 12:01 Uhr
Von: "Trey Sis" <trey...@gmx.net>
An: ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Betreff: Re: Re: Include `::1 localhost` in /etc/hosts
Mostly it is a consistency issue. It seems like all major OS use the convention to have "localhost" resolve to "::1" as well as "127.0.0.1". Even Ubuntu's base Debian uses this convention. Also Arch, Gentoo, OpenWrt, macOS, and Windows.

This way, it is causing issues if people use software on Ubuntu that was crafted for not-Ubuntu, and vice versa. It will also cause masking problems. And thus, it complicates the move towards IPv6. I do understand it might also break some stuff in some cases, but we also can't keep everything forever, especially if the rest of the world has already decided which way to go.

Specific problems most prominently arose probably when NodeJS started to stop reordering DNS replies with preference for IPv4 and now let the OS decide again over DNS sorting order (according to address source and destination selection). This was especially visible when running the automated tests. Wild usage of "localhost" and "127.0.0.1" just decided by gut feeling made this change an uncessarily big effort.

I do agree though that introducing such a change in 22.10 is probably the better option and a good way to iron out issues until making it into the next LTS release.

Looking forward to your comments.

Cheers,
Trey