Heya,

On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 at 15:30, Mauricio Faria de Oliveira
<m...@canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not directly involved with this in general, but if I understand
> the question and some processes correctly:
>
> The package versions in a given Ubuntu release are (usually) a result
> of a Time Based Release process
> and what package versions are in Ubuntu's and Debian's package
> archives; and there are exceptions.
>
> Ubuntu releases under development import packages (without Ubuntu
> customizations) from Debian
> until the Debian Import Freeze date, and there are packages that are
> Ubuntu-only or replacements
> that thus aren't (imported) from Debian.  There may be more
> details/processes I'm not aware of.
>
> If you check the release schedule wiki page of, e.g., Focal [1], you
> may find some of that information
> and other related topics that might help as well. [2,3,4].
>
> And, of course, others here may correct me / add more information.
> Hope this helps!
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseSchedule
> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TimeBasedReleases
> [3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebianImportFreeze
> [4] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

All of the above is correct, and then after we release we only do
targetted bug fixes following
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates process.

At the time when we froze/released Focal Fossa gcc-9.3.0 was the
latest stable release of gcc, which met all of the above timelines.

And we do not upgrade major version of the default gcc toolchain post
GA release, but we do issue bugfix SRUs for it.

Other compilers are available in Focal too, for example you can
install and use gcc-10 as well.

> On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 3:31 PM 罗瑶明 <lym10061...@126.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear ubuntu-devel-discuss,
> >           I have questions about how to choice or decide which Upstream
> > version to use for a certain software in Ubuntu Derived series.
> > is there some guiding principle or refer documents. i.e.,why choice
> > gcc-9.3.0 in the Focal Fossa.
> >

> >         thanks.
> >
> > --
>

> --