I'm having a few problems with fonts on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Here are my issues:

1) I just learned that Type 1 fonts are no longer supported. I supposed this is because Adobe has retired Type 1 fonts. True? If so, why are Type 1 fonts still in the distribution? Are existing Type 1 fonts in Ubuntu going to be replaced with their equivalents in supported font types?

2) Using Font Manager and Fonts, I find there are a number of fonts that just can't be removed using tools. For example, "Droid", "Gubbi", "Kacst" family, "Kalapi", "LKLUG" are examples of fonts that are on the system, but not included by installed packages that I can find in Synaptic and Font Manager, let alone uninstall them. I'm sure there are others that I would like to remove. How?

3) Fonts application shows fonts that Fond Manager doesn't see. One example is "dingbats", which is in /usr/share/fonts/X11/encodings/adobe-dingbats.enc.gz. There may be others, but I've not investigated this fully.

Can you point me to a guide to properly manage *all* the fonts in my installation?