On Mon, Nov 07, 2022 at 11:40:21PM +0000, Christian Bourque wrote:
> Are there any plans to update the Podman package to the latest release
> since it's now an official package of Ubuntu 22.04?

Please see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates for our policies
on bumping major versions in a stable release.

> The latest version available on Jammy is 3.4.4 but the 3.x branch isn't
> supported upstream anymore as the latest official release is 4.3.0:
> https://github.com/containers/podman/releases
>
> This is an issue for us because we're experiencing a major bug with the
> current version and it's never going to get fixed.

In general we cherry-pick bugfixes. So unless there's some blocking
reason in this specific case, your bug could get fixed without a major
version bump if somebody volunteers to provide the fix and do the QA.

I suggest you start by making sure a bug exists at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libpod that describes your
major bug.

Note that there is an exception to our policy for Docker:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Docker.io_group. I don't
think this currently includes podman, but it might be reasonable to make
an exception for podman on the same basis.

However, I must again emphasize that this heavily depends on volunteers
providing the necessary updates and QA, and that's an order of magnitude
or more of commitment compared to a cherry-pick.