From: Ian Weisser via Ubuntu Community Hub <nore...@discourse.ubuntu.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 at 02:21
Subject: [Ubuntu Community Hub] Who is responsible for updating the Ubuntu
.deb packages like Pinta?
To: <sro...@gmail.com>

ian-weisser
November 8

How to determine:

   1.

   Let’s look at the output of plain old apt show pinta:

   Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>

   This tells us that the package gets merged from Debian. Most packages
   are, but it’s good to confirm that.
   2.

   Let’s take a look at the Debian Package Tracker for Pinta:
   https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pinta

   Lots of great information there! Debian is using the same version. No
   new version is in the pipeline, and here’s why:

   [image: image]

<//ubuntucommunity.s3.dualstack.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/original/3X/c/8/c8ed934929bb0c00096de8be70a2056ed87f7c31.png>

   3.

   A Pinta snap is available with a much newer version, but I’m going to
   ignore it because you specified the deb package.

The takeaway here is that it’s not an Ubuntu failure of *responsibility*.
It’s a lack of Debian volunteers. A lot of volunteer help is needed at
Debian to fix the blockers and the bugs and thence to get an upgrade into
the pipeline.

My advice to everybody led here by a search engine: Pitch in! Contact that
Debian maintainer team (Debian CLI Applications Team) and see where your
skills can best help. Commit a few evenings to learning how to fix one of
the problems. Just a couple hands can get the pipe unclogged and running
clear.

Kind regards,
Saptarshi Roy