Hi,

Following extensive discussions within Canonical, with our OEM partners,
and with various other groups including the FSF, we've decided to use
the GPLv3-licensed GRUB 2 boot loader by default on systems with UEFI
Secure Boot, to match our behaviour on all other x86 systems.

To mitigate the issues with preinstalled systems that we talked about
previously, we'll be adding compulsory test cases to ensure that
Canonical validates that every system we test has an option to disable
secure boot and an option to install user certificates; and we will
retain fallback plans involving efilinux in the case of serious error,
although we hope we won't need to use them.

For Ubuntu 12.10, this will be based on GRUB 2.00; we will also use a
number of Fedora's patches against 2.00 that are relevant to secure
boot.  I've just uploaded most of the necessary packaging, although we
still have some details to iron out.  For Ubuntu 12.04.2, where 2.00
would be much too big a change to deliver in a standard update, this
will either involve a sequence of targeted backports to GRUB 1.99, or a
separate package just for this case if that turns out to be infeasible.

For more on the discussions leading up to this, see:

http://blog.canonical.com/2012/09/20/quetzal-is-taking-flight-update-on-ubuntu-secure-boot-plans/

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwat...@ubuntu.com]