On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:32 AM, Jonty Gamao <techxga...@outlook.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed in the mailing list that you guys only talked about users who are
> installing Ubuntu for the first time, not upgrading from a previous version
> (unless I totally missed it, or misunderstood it):
>
>> We would like to add a checkbox to the installer, exact wording TBD, but
>> along the lines of “Send diagnostics information to help improve Ubuntu”.
>> This would be checked by default.
>
> If I understood it right, then you guys haven't decided whether to leave it
> enabled or disabled by default for users who are upgrading, right?
>
> In my opinion, I think you guys should make it an opt-in thing for users who
> are upgrading from a previous version of Ubuntu.  It leaves a sour thought
> in people's minds when they get drafted to something they're against, even
> though they have the option to leave (pretty sure you noticed how this move
> became controversial and a hot topic right now).  I suggest doing a pop up
> right after the upgrade and reboot, or during the upgrade process, that asks
> them whether they want to participate (with VERY detailed info on what
> you'll be collecting) or not.  And maybe leave it unticked.

Yes, indeed, we agree -- upgrading users would need to purposely
"opt-in" to this behavior, as that wasn't explicitly asked in the
past.

Upgrading users would need to purposefully enable diagnostics in
System Preferences.  We should look into a tasteful way of asking this
question during the upgrade process.  We'll leave that to the Ubuntu
UI/UX team ;-)