On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 02:58:27PM +0000, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> Please don't. There are many bugs in older compat level that may produce
> debs no longer compatible with our OS. Especially around generated
> maintainer scripts.
>
> It's best to upgrade packaging to compat level 13. Sounds like a long
> overdue packaging upkeep.

I understand the principle here, but it seems very late in our cycle to
be suddenly finding ourselves with the task of doing this for the entire
archive. What changed that suddenly makes this urgent for _this_ cycle
in particular, apart from that someone noticed?

I don't have a strong view on the technicalities here, but socially it
seems pretty harsh to suddenly impose this on development teams who are
already busy due to what amounts to an accident of timing for general,
tech-debt type improvements rather than something that directly impacts
user experience. It'd be nice to see a compelling reason to push for
more late notice work that doesn't rely on the word "may".

Robie