On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 at 20:48, Adrien Nader <adr...@notk.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2024, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 at 02:31, Jeremy Bícha <jeremy.bi...@canonical.com>
> > wrote:

> noble+).

> > > Many of Ubuntu's core teams are older than 2014. This includes
> > > Desktop, Checkbox, Kernel, Pythoneers, Security, Mozilla, LibreOffice,
> > > Kubuntu, Lubuntu.
> > >
> > > I suspect that this change would break most of the heaviest used PPAs.
> > > We need a coordinated transition.
> > >

> > I agree with Jeremy that we can't just blithely assume all PPAs created
> > before 2014 are no longer much used.
> >
> > Unfortunately I don't know what that means for a way forward. Clearly
> 1024R
> > keys should be retired. From one angle, I can imagine a scheme were a
> repo
> > is dual-signed and signs the new key with the old to convince apt to
> update
> > it but from another this seems impossible (and clearly very unlikely to
> > land before noble GA).
>
> We know of at least one active PPA with a 1024-bit key:
> https://launchpad.net/~videolan/+archive/ubuntu/master-daily .

I kind of misspoke in a way -- it's not the PPA that has to be old, as all
PPAs from a given owner are signed with the same key. It sounds slightly
more tractable to have Launchpad generate new keys for each owner and sign
new PPAs with that key. But a) not in time for noble b) this doesn't really
solve the problem anyway.

Cheers,
mwh