[Expired for haproxy (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60
days.]

** Changed in: haproxy (Ubuntu)

High Availability Team, which is subscribed to haproxy in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/689734

Title:
  HAProxy fails to start at boot time

Status in “haproxy” package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: haproxy

  I've got haproxy installed and configured on one of my servers.  In
  the first 'listen' section of the config file, it binds to a number of
  aliased IP addresses.  While I can start the service fine from the
  login prompt, it would not start at boot time, instead it showed the
  following in /var/log/boot.log

   * Starting haproxy haproxy
  [ALERT] 346/160552 (927) : Starting proxy haproxy: cannot bind socket
  [ALERT] 346/160552 (927) : Starting proxy haproxy: cannot bind socket
  [ALERT] 346/160552 (927) : Starting proxy haproxy: cannot bind socket
  [ALERT] 346/160552 (927) : Starting proxy haproxy: cannot bind socket
  [ALERT] 346/160552 (927) : Starting proxy haproxy: cannot bind socket
  [ALERT] 346/160552 (927) : Starting proxy haproxy: cannot bind socket
  [ALERT] 346/160552 (927) : Starting proxy haproxy: cannot bind socket

[fail]

  On inspection the problem seems to come down to the lack of and
  specified start/stop numbers in the sysV init scripts, so it defaults
  to S20/K20 for everything.  While the correct solution is to write an
  upstart script for haproxy, in the mean time, it should be set, so
  that the start number is higher than 35 (which seems to be the number
  /etc/init.d/networking uses)/

  Changing the startup number to 35 seems to fix it, but I think 36
  would be safer (the old number for networking was 35, so best make it
  start after that).

  This fixed the problem, on my server:-

  update-rc.d -f haproxy remove
  update-rc.d haproxy start 36 2 3 4 5 . stop 20 0 1 6 .