Also, I didn't check if the init.d script is provided by packaging or
comes directly from upstream. If it comes directly from upstream, then
sending the patch upstream directly would be best.

** Changed in: haproxy (Ubuntu)

High Availability Team, which is subscribed to haproxy in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1325847

Title:
  Improvement: initscript enhancement with support for conf.d and
  configtest on startup

Status in “haproxy” package in Ubuntu:
  New

Bug description:
  The haproxy initscript misses a configtest option, which haproxy natively
supports. It also does not warn the user, if haproxy has been disabled in the
default file, but exits silently.
  Also, it has become a de-facto standard for daemons to include conf.d
configuration file support.
  I attached a patch for the current init script, which remedies all these
issues and should be forward/backward compatible to haproxy 1.3/1.4/1.5.