Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better.

In Ubuntu we do not update stable releases with new upstream versions in
order to keep stable releases stable, and keepalived in Ubuntu does not
currently have an exception on this. See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates for the policy and
rationale.

We can still fix specific issues by backporting their fixes from newer
upstream releases, so I'll turn this bug into one to track the specific
issue you're facing.

We can have a separate bug to track the update of keepalived in the
development release of Ubuntu (currently Wily) to a newer upstream
release, but it doesn't sound like that'll help you since your focus is
currently on 14.04.

** Summary changed:

- please update keepalived to version 1.2.17 or higher
+ keepalived makes a floating IP available on more than one host after
configuration reload

** Tags added: server-next

High Availability Team, which is subscribed to keepalived in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1481337

Title:
  keepalived makes a floating IP available on more than one host after
  configuration reload

Status in keepalived package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in keepalived source package in Trusty:
  Confirmed
Status in keepalived source package in Vivid:
  Confirmed
Status in keepalived source package in Wily:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  The version in 14.04 is 1:1.2.7-1ubuntu1

  There's an issue with reloading the configuration file, where the
  state of VRRP gets 'confused' (in lack of a better description),
  resulting in a floating IP being available on more than one host.

  This issue seems to be fixed in 1.2.17. Since the package hasn't had
  an update in over 2 years, I kindly request it to be updated to at
  least 1.2.17

  For more information, see http://www.keepalived.org/changelog.html

  Extra info:
  1) The release of Ubuntu you are using, via 'lsb_release -rd' or System ->
About Ubuntu

  Release:      14.04

  2) The version of the package you are using, via 'apt-cache policy
  pkgname' or by checking in Software Center

  1:1.2.7-1ubuntu1

  3) What you expected to happen

  Keepalived config reloaded without interruption of services. VRRP
  should notice VIP being present on one host and do nothing.

  4) What happened instead

  Keepalived config was reloaded but VRRP decided to activate the VIP on
  the host that didn't have it previously. Resulting in routing errors
  etc.