Reproduced with your keepalived.conf, thanks - specifically that what
goes to syslog seems to be a problem on startup without ip_vs manually
loaded, and after a manual modprobe there is less of an error (I get
other errors presumably because I don't have your network set up).

I'm surprised to hear of the report in the Debian bug that adding ip_vs
to /etc/modules does not work. @Thorsten please could you try this? It's
a workaround and not a proper permanent fix but if the workaround
doesn't work that will help us inform us for a proper fix.

I also don't see any changes in packaging that would have caused this to
have been fixed in Bionic. I wonder if there is a change keepalived that
landed after Xenial's version that fixes this.

High Availability Team, which is subscribed to keepalived in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1800159

Title:
  keepalived does not autoload the ip_vs kernel module when it is
  required

Status in keepalived package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in keepalived package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  1)
  Release:      16.04
  2) keepalived:
    Installed: 1:1.2.24-1ubuntu0.16.04.1
    Candidate: 1:1.2.24-1ubuntu0.16.04.1
    Version table:
   *** 1:1.2.24-1ubuntu0.16.04.1 500
          500 http://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/archive.ubuntu.com
xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  3) not loading the kernel module
  systemctl start keepalived.service
  Keepalived_healthcheckers[1680]: IPVS: Protocol not available
  Keepalived_healthcheckers[1680]: message repeated 8 times: [ IPVS: Protocol
not available]

  systemctl stop keepalived.service
  modprobe ip_vs
  kernel: [  445.363609] IPVS: ipvs loaded.
  systemctl start keepalived.service
  Keepalived_healthcheckers[5533]: Initializing ipvs
  kernel: [  600.828683] IPVS: [wlc] scheduler registered.