Given SRU and backport team policies, having a newer version of
keepalived in bionic seems pretty unlikely.  SRU policy favors backports
of specific fixes rather than entire package backports, while the
backports team generally discourages backports of libraries or services
since they can randomly break other software using them.

So, the most practical route forward would be to identify the patch(es)
needed for fixing the particular issue at hand, and go through the
regular SRU process.  I am, unfortunately, completely unfamiliar with
keepalived, but attached is a list of upstream comments mentioning "VIP"
since the v.1.3.9 release, which I generated like this:

    git log --grep="VIP" v1.3.9.. > /tmp/vip_commits.txt

The next step would be for someone more familiar than me, to review the
list and identify 1 or 2 patches worth testing.  Then apply the patch to
the bionic keepalived package and test for a fix.  After we know what
patch is needed, an SRU request can be placed to have it released for
all users.

** Attachment added: "vip_commits.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/keepalived/+bug/1819074/+attachment/5271627/+files/vip_commits.txt

** Changed in: keepalived (Ubuntu)

High Availability Team, which is subscribed to keepalived in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1819074

Title:
  Keepalived < 2.0.x in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS  not compatible with systemd-
  networkd

Status in keepalived package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in netplan.io package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in keepalived source package in Bionic:
  New
Status in netplan.io source package in Bionic:
  New
Status in systemd source package in Bionic:
  New
Status in keepalived source package in Cosmic:
  New
Status in netplan.io source package in Cosmic:
  New
Status in systemd source package in Cosmic:
  New

Bug description:
  Systemd-networkd clobbers VIPs placed by other daemons on any
  reconfiguration triggering systemd-networkd restart (netplan apply for
  example).  Keepalived < version 2.0.x will not restore a VIP lost in
  this fashion, breaking high availability on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.  A
  backport for keepalived >= 2.0.x should fix the issue.