> Hi
>
> two questions
>
> 1. Is it ok (advisable) to install updated programmes from the 7.10
> stream on a 7.04 system
>
> if yes or ok
>
> 2. then how do i go about it - can i use apt-get after adding the 7.10
> repositories or just download the .deb file and use the built in package
> installer (Gdebi etc)

No matter what program you try to install form 7.10 it will depend on
the version of libc in 7.10. So you will have to upgrade libc first.
You can upgrade your system partially. I have done that and didn't
experience any breakages, but that doesn't mean that even you won't
have problem. All you have to do is add 7.10 repository, apt-get
update and then selectively install packages.

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.