On 10/10/07, Mir Nazim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> Any idea on how can I install XFCE and other Desktop environs but keep
> GNOME intact
>
> If I from synaptic I select Edit -> "Mark packages by task" -> XFCE
> Destop, which I this is equivalent  of
>
> $ sudo apt-get isntall xfce-desktop
>
> Synaptic says that I will remove my GNOME desktop and some GNOME apps.
>
> Actually these days I am in a mood to test some other desktop environments.
>
> Any help

I think you are looking for wrong meta package. Try installing
xubuntu-desktop. The only package it removes at my end is
totem-gstreamer because I guess XFCE has its own media player. But I
think I will file a bug for this. There is no reason for conflicts
between media players.

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.