On 10/17/07, Lut4rp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > 1. Old team members feel that wiki is the way to go. I am one of them.
> > New team members feel that some CMS like Drupal is the way to go.
> > 2. Old team members feel we should use existing infrastructure and
> > make Ubuntu-IN website as beautiful as possible.
> > New team members feel that existing infrastructure is not flexible enough.
> > 3. Old team members feel that there isn't enough contribution to content.
> > New team members feel that old members are ranting.
>

> The new team members are not saying no-wiki! We want a mixed solution like
> the one that exists on ubuntu.com. A framework like Drupal will help us in
> the long run. A totally wiki based solution is too geeky. And I am sure we
> dont think that the old members are ranting. Its a critical overhaul and in
> the best interest of everybody, such a decision is bound to recieve all
> sorts of viewpoints!
>

> > 1. The reason behind many pages being locked is a bot attack that
> > happened long time ago. Please contact me on #ubuntu-in and I will
> > unlock specific pages.
>
> I did not know that MediaWiki had insecurity to this level, or that the
> SysAdmins did not utilise the security to the max. Drupal is a highly-secure
> platform. I have never heard of a Drupal website under attack.

You got it wrong. The attack was by a bot (mostly) who created an
account and edited pages through that account. And that is when I
locked almost all the pages.
This is the reason I said we need captcha mechanism for which we will
need to upgrade wiki.

> > 3. We are using very old version of Mediawiki, 1.5. So I think it is
> > better to look into upgrade of the software to 1.7. This will enable
> > us to install some plugins for calendar, captcha etc. Having a
> > calendar is the most importanmt thing now. And having a captcha
> > mechanism will prevent bot attacks in future. G0SUB please take up
> > this task or provide us the necessary information needed for this
> > upgrade.
>
> The members with the provision to access the server are not doing their part
> of responsibility. I looked up the version of MediaWiki on the Ubuntu india
> website. We are on 1.5 and the latest stable build is 1.11

Agreed. For whatever reasons this has not been done in time. But I
don't want to blame anyone and will take responsibility to make sure
that this is done in 2 weeks time.

> > 4. This is call for new contributors to try using existing
> > infrastructure. Let's say we try it for next 6 months. If it doesn't
> > work out then we can consider other solutions.
>
> Nothing is going to change in 6 months, very sorry if I am being rude. It
> shall only add to the straining infrastructure. Even after few years of
> establishment, the community doesnt have many members.

At least I am not asking for infinite time. Or I am not saying that
things will change automatically. What I am saying that we at least
try to use existing infrastructure to improve the site in next 6
months. If the current infrastructure collapses under load then we are
bound to look for other solutions.

> > 5. Sine most of the old members are busy with their jobs and personal
> > lives, I think it is time to pass on the admin rights to new members.
> > We can have a meeting on this weekend on #ubuntu-in to decide who
> > administrates what.
>
> Now thats a nice idea. I hope the senior members will take some step in this
> direction. We should have such a structure that people who feel they are not
> getting enough time can gracefully exit the admin responsibilities.

Hey, we agree on one point at least. :-)

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.