--- On Sat, 10/11/08, mallikarjun arjun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I will give a try, thanks a lot, can you explain what it
> does? if you dont
> mind.

If my understanding is right, "wvdialconf" searches for the modem in all
possible ports, and detects maximum possible baud etc and saves the settings in
/etc/wvdial.conf file.

You have to edit that file and enter your dialup phone number (such as 172226
for bsnl or #777 for reliance cdma), username etc. "wvdial" ofcourse dials out
(using settings from wvdial.conf), initiates a ppp session and establishes a
"default route" in the routing table. there may be better ways to achieve this
using the network manage applet, but this is the way I know that works for sure.

Mani.