ranjan das gupta wrote:
hey my computer  dis not alloing me to be the root after i used my own name while i installed ubuntu 8.10??what to do
ranjan

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Leena <le...@itforchange.net> wrote:
Hi all,

Is there any way I can increase /root partition's size after
installation, using gparted?
or anyway to change directory for default installation files from /root
to /home"
I have Ubuntu 8.04 in a system having Hard disk of size 40GB.
I used manual partition option and following is how I have parted the disk
/root: 3GB or 3000mb
swap: 1.6GB
/home: remaining (say @36GB)

Now after installation I ran updates. now when I try to install new
program, system giving me following error: "There is no space in /root
and you need to delete some files to save new"

any help on this please....

Thanks,
Leena

you cannot login by root in ubuntu .... if you want to run any command or software as root ... just type sudo [command] [argument] form

Example :-   if you want to run ls -l command as root just type  sudo ls -l  and it will ask prompt you for password , type your pass. and you have done it...

for graphical password prompt you can run
gksu [command] [argument]

Regards & T.C.

--

Jatin Khatri