On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnaraya...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
> Thanks
>
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Sanjay Bhangar
> <sanjaybhan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Dont think there is a 'GIS distro', though it might be cool if you package
>> one after installing all the stuff :-D
>>
>> What exactly do you need  to do ?
>> Here's some stuff I could think of that's probably useful:
>> sudo apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass grass grass-dev gdal-bin
>> python-gdal postgresql-8.3-postgis
>>
>> If you want to do web stuff, I would  recommend the GeoDjango frame-work .
>>
>> will install all that
>
> we have some bit of archived material, raw and well finished and we wanted
> to be able to see them, manipulate them etc

What format is this material in? Try QuantumGIS (qgis), and you should be
able to import and export shape files (.shp) . If by any chance your
material is in autocad files, (.dwg), there are tools to convert this into
.shp files, and then import them into a GPS tool. You can also try TangoGPS,
which I haven't used myself.

> add on new data, layers,
>
> like the new maps that NASA has just released.
>
> import GPS points directly onto a layer etc
>
> am a GIS novice, most of the work was done by others and on closed systems
> but i want to make sure as much works on Ubuntu.

I'm really having a good time working with GeoDjango and OpenLayers to do
web-based stuff like that. If you have some developer skills, its not so
hard. Else, I think QGis is probably what you're looking for - explore
TangoGPS, and also i think JOSM is a good user-friendly java-based tool to
work with your data with Open Street Maps ..

> am not sure of what all but right now want to install everything because
> once i get home won't have access to broadband to install

If you want to work with gps devices, apt-get gpsd and gpsbabel as well.

If you do have a lot of data that you want to work with, setting things up
can be a bit hairy and complicated with different projections of data and
other GIS stuff .. feel free to ping me, but am not really an expert with
that stuff..

take care,
Sanjay