On Friday 25 February 2011 06:46 AM, satyaakam goswami wrote:

    On the face of it, BOSS Linux is a good project, and
    if they achieve even part of what they claim to be
    doing that will be a significant achievement. Having
    said that, I have very strong reservations about how
    CDAC, and to a somewhat lesser extent, other governmental
    organisations in India, such as NRC-FOSS, relate to
    the FOSS community. IMHO, they are still in the cathedral
    model, with themselves as the centre, and have little
    appreciation of how FOSS works. E.g., BOSS Linux pulls
    happily from Debian, but contributes nothing back, at
    least when I last looked. You could say that is how
    government in India works, but to my mind that mode of
    functioning is exactly the problem.

yes it becomes much more murkier , is there a way to tap into these sources of funding and use it the way we want it . Yes there is no guarantee that this org or initiative will not land up in the same state for worse or good , it very easy pointing fingers and saying holier than though attitude. Do you see a way out shall we just ignore these thought process.
The way out is not a "half hearted attempt"; rather a full scale effort. I mean, look at the development of "Wayland" in Ubuntu. Despite all the prowess (and a publicly funded project), why can't we have a better project than this?

Debian based distro is fine but I still have to come across a review. I use Linux Mint (9) which is being maintained by a close group of individuals. This way, there is more granular control over the outcome of distro. Therefore, the existing mechanisms need to be worked out to deliver and a "new domain" is not the answer.

    As stereotactic mentions, the goal should be to find and
    fix issues with Indian participation in FOSS projects,
    rather than to try to find problems with existing work.
    Personally, I no longer see much potential in the
    community trying to engage with the government: We need
to make things work on our own.

ok i get the answer here , but how? form one more org ?
As I mentioned above, that's the answer. There has to be some way to break the log jam. How many among you are researchers/academicians? How many among you have actually "researched" and implemented anything "new"?

It's time to "look inwards" and make the Indian Loco better than the best...localization or translating is a passe'. Creating something new is warranted. There is no dearth of ideas, trust me. One just needs the effort to make it happen.

-Satya