On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Linux Lingam <linuxlin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Vivek Khurana <hiddenharm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >  How about buying a real computer instead of trying to run a state of the
> > art OS on a shiny toy...
> >

> While I continue to wait even after 7 years for the otherwise
> state-of-the-art OS to catch up, that shiny toy can run garageband and
> that to record without machine electrical interference, and can
> transcode video without drop frames and jarring, ugly artefacts. So
> think of it as a stop-gap arrangement, and here's hoping not for the
> rest of my life, as 7 years is already too much in a computing life.

That is because what you are looking for is not a priority for any of the
devs in Linux world. Given the closed spec, patent infiltrated field of
media industry, unhelpful professional, Linux is never expected to catch
up. It is a glass ceiling created by media industry to prevent the spread
of free software...

> Before others helpfully pitch in. LMMS, audacity, ardour, ubuntustudio
> etc etc ain't garageband, much less Logic pro. And ffmpeg, gstreamer,
> and other valiant attempts aren't quite there either.

The problem is people stand up and speak how crappy are open source
alternatives, but no one is willing to write down what is not working. No
professional will bother to file a bug report for the specific problems
being faced with the software. Bug filing is and requirement specification,
is the only price you have to pay for using free software. Go ahead and
file 10000 bugs and if those bugs dont get fixed over a period of time,
then say things are not catching up...
 The developer never has full deep understanding of user actions. But when
someone pays $$$ for buying a software, they will shout at the top of the
pitch to get a feature added or bug fixed. But when it is free software,
the same person will use the software once and then rant for rest of his
life...

For those who have specific cases of things not working, do you have
a publicly available list of things which are missing ?

> Plus that hardware engineering that cuts out electrical noise, or even
> gives me zero sound for Mic recordings, that's priceless. No fiddling
> around to get things working.

If you want to use a shiny toy, use the OS that comes with it... :)

> By the easy, have already installed Ubuntu 12.04 on the other laptop.
> It is the best Ubuntu I've used so far.

Some good news at the end...

regards
Vivek