Hi

I know some of the list members are with Canonical and some others are
concerned with security.

The essay linked here
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/05/government-betrayed-internet-nsa-spying

has this statement
*
*
*"We can make surveillance expensive again. In particular, we need open
protocols, open implementations, open systems – these will be harder for
the NSA to subvert."*

So what is the relevance of Linux in general and of specific distributions.
I can foresee it being easy for distributions to be bullied into putting in
place backdoors in their OS. Will this be easier to "catch" by the larger
community or will it slip through .

The ordinary linux user - even the normal geek is going to head to the
nearest OS distribution servers to downlond the OS and the packages from
the repos - so how difficult would it be to engender trust in a
distributions "official repos"

Are there independent reviews of the code base for different Linux
distributions.

Seems to me that those paranoid about security would head towards compiling
from source or get it from repos that are much viewed and used across many
distributions (like the debian base)

look forward to hearing more thoughts on this

meanwhile google has yet more mail to crunch with NSA + Security + Linux
being bandied about in a mail :-)

Ram