On 24 July 2014 14:46, Ramnarayan.K <ramnaraya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Am trying to run an 'official' income tax java file
> available here - https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
>
> tis requires the official oracle / sun java software
> it says that the version i have currently installed (openjdk-7-jre)
> (openjdk-7 (7u55-2.4.7-1ubuntu1~0.13.10.1)) is not compatible

Had the same problem, and yes the ITD software does seem to specifically
require
Oracle Java (write once, despair of ever running anywhere). Unfortunately,
Oracle
Java is no longer supported on Ubuntu, and the Oracle site (the link that
you give)
only has a RPM, or a tar.gz. You could try the tar.gz, but that might end
up messing
with your openjdk settings. As I only wanted to try out the ITD utility, I
just gave up,
and used Oracle Java in Microsoft Windows XP in a virtual machine.

Regards,
Gora